Today was the BIG day - the cap of the silo (roof) was lifted by a crane and secured to the top of the silo.
The crane arrived at 8 am sharp. Carter crawled under the roof to get all of the straps in place. We used 4 straps to cradle the roof. Once it was attached, the roof was lifted about 7 feet, and we removed all of the boards the supported it while we were building it. Then, up it went - the top of the silo is 45' in the air. We had some short delays, while the crew - on top of 3 sections of scaffolding on the 4th floor, had to make some final adjustments (remove one of the brace boards; place 2x4's on top of the wall - so the roof could set on them so we could push the straps out the gap. No one volunteered to get on the roof to unhook any of the straps, so we devised a system to where all of the connections happened within the confines of the silo. By 9:30 the straps were unhooked and the crane was folding itself back up. We spent the rest of the day removing the spacer blocks, adding an extra board at each of the 8 peaks and securing the roof to the top of our wall system